Sort - locale: cygwin_nt-5.0

Eric Blake ericblake@comcast.net
Tue May 17 22:44:00 GMT 2005

> There's very little support for LOCALE settings in Cygwin.  Some
> applications will switch the language of the help messages, etc, to the
> extent gettext() supports it.  I don't believe sort has locale-specific
> collate support -- the coreutils maintainer might be a better person to
> answer that.

Sort requires a working strcoll to do locale-dependent sorts.  But newlib (cygwin's library) provides only a strcoll that is HARD-CODED to the "POSIX" ("C") locale.  Gettext allows localized help messages (LC_MESSAGES generally works on programs compiled with gettext, coreutils included), but does nothing for the other aspects of locales (such as LC_COLLATE).  In other words, unless someone submits a patch to cygwin with a compliant strcoll, you are stuck with non-locale sorts on cygwin.  Sorry.

--
Eric Blake
cygwin coreutils maintainer