New call: Please test latest snapshot

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Fri May 20 07:09:00 GMT 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 04:17:48AM +0200, Krzysztof Duleba wrote:

>> >Well, that's the funny thing about Cygwin's gdb.
>>
>>No, that's the funny thing about debugging in general.  There's nothing
>>special about cygwin's gdb.
>
>Really?  I'd expect something more like this:
>
>(gdb) run Starting program: /home/jsim/k/kd209203/ab
>
>Program received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.  0x40142841 in kill () from
>/lib/libc.so.6

You'd expect gdb to report a SIGABRT when the program exhibits a SIGSEGV
outside of gdb?  That's odd.

My point, since you missed it, is that debugging sometimes changes the
execution environment enough so that things "work" inside of a debugger
even though they fail when being debugged.  This can happen on cygwin or
linux or Tru64.

I do have to say, that Windows may be unique in that it enforces
serialized thread execution on debugged programs so this may either
mask or cause problems.  I don't know if any UNIX platform does that or
not.  If not, I'd have to retract what I said and say that there is
something special about cygwin (and any other windows debugger) in that
respect.

cgf