problems in Perl process management

Sonam Chauhan sonam.chauhan@ce.com.au
Wed May 25 04:59:00 GMT 2005

Chris:

> >>       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >Won't it be better fixing this bug, than fixing 'Proc::ProcessTable' and
> > 'ps -W' and all the other programs that uses CW_GETPINFO_FULL?
>
> There is no reference implementation which would specify that the
> behavior which I noted was incorrect.  "CW_GETPINFO_FULL" was
> implemented for "ps -W".

So the accurate-reporting-except-for-execed-processes behavior is canonical
in CW_GETPINFO_FULL as of now.

I'd suggest noting this in the man page for 'ps -W' so people know it's true
behavior. Right now, all it says is:
       -W, --windows
              show windows as well as cygwin processes
The  -W option causes  ps show non-Cygwin Windows processes as  well  as
Cygwin  processes

> I don't believe I've ever heard anyone
> complaining about the way this works in "ps -W" or in "all of the other
> programs" which use this.

There's a first time for everything.

> If you want to submit a patch which changes this behavior, I'll
> certainly review it promptly.  I don't believe that it would be trivial
> to do, however.

I'm not skilled enough, so I'll leave that alone.

> It seems to me that it would be a lot easier to work around in
> the perl module.

Can you suggest any other CW_... query that would report on PIDs accurately?

Regards,
Sonam