sftp exits with error NULL pointer given as argument

Pavel Rosenboim e97665728@013.net
Thu May 26 10:41:00 GMT 2005

Pavel Rosenboim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm connecting with sftp from my work computer running Win2k SP4 to my
> home computer running Fedora Core 3. My ssh config file turns on port
> forwarding for several ports. In this configuration sftp exits with
> error: "xfree: NULL pointer given as argument". When port forwarding
> is turned off sftp connects without problems. Also this happens only
> with sftp not ssh. The problem started after upgrading openssh package
> to version 4.0p1 and doesn't happen with previous releases. I also
> tried to connect from Fedora Core 4 test3 machine which also uses
> openssh 4.0p1 with same configuration and it does work.
>
> Output of sftp -v -v -v -v -v pavel@pashar.dyndns.org
> Connecting to pashar.dyndns.org...
> OpenSSH_4.0p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7g 11 Apr 2005
> debug1: Reading configuration data /home/pavelr/.ssh/config
> debug1: Applying options for pashar.dyndns.org
> debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
> xfree: NULL pointer given as argument
> Connection closed
>
 > Any changes made to /etc/ssh_config?

No changes to /etc/ssh_config, but many changes to .ssh/config. The most
significant part is port forwarding (everything works when it is
disabled) but I'm attaching my config file if you want to see everything.