Serious performance problems (new snapshot has some performance improvement)

Tacvek unknown_kev_cat@hotmail.com
Tue May 31 02:54:00 GMT 2005

> Interesting, why is it faster when running a binary that doesn't
> depend on cygwin1.dll after swapping the DLL?  Some Win caching mechanism?

Repeating many times should minimize any caching:

#New DLL
$ /bin/time -f "%E %S %U" cygspd-mingw-ne-o7 cygspd.dat
0:04.48 0.01 0.02
0:01.40 0.00 0.02
0:01.46 0.01 0.01
0:01.39 0.01 0.01
0:01.43 0.01 0.01
#old DLL
$ /bin/time -f "%E %S %U" cygspd-mingw-ne-o7 cygspd.dat
0:01.45 0.01 0.01
0:01.41 0.00 0.01
0:01.40 0.01 0.01
0:01.41 0.00 0.02
0:01.41 0.00 0.02
0:01.43 0.01 0.01

Ok there is obviously some caching, which means that the original values I
gave inidacte that the improvement is somewhat less than they indicate. They
did not indicate very spectacular performance anyway. But fractional seconds
do not mean much.
Based on some additioal experimentation, you should assume that the values
are acurate to +/- 1 second.