Wanted: Help translating classpath from CMD.EXE to bash

Siegfried Heintze siegfried@heintze.com
Tue Nov 1 00:12:00 GMT 2005

Thanks Igor!

> As someone mentioned, you can use "cygpath -p" to convert a POSIX-style
> path into a Win32-style one.

I think I need to go the other way. Given a CLASSPATH variable in windows,
how do I convert it to cygwin? Do I use ":" to separate the elements, or do
I use "\;". If I use ":", what about the windows device names?

It seems to me this should have worked, but it does not:
 * CLASSPATH=.\;c:\\dev\\xalan\\xalan-j_2_7_0\\xsltcservlet.jar\;others
 * export $CLASSPATH
 * echo ${CLASSPATH}
 * javac myprogram.java

> Alternatively, you can try using my java wrapper scripts that will do the
> translation automatically for you (the scripts can be found at
> <http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/wrappers/java/?cvsroot=cygwin-apps>;
> you'll need to edit the scripts to point them to your Java installation
> directory).

OK, is there any documentation? What kind of wrappers are these? I have
never heard of bash wrappers before. (hmmm... bash wrappers, sounds like a
new genre of music! -- maybe something like slam dancing?)

How about an example? That would probably suffice.

Well, even if I get Igor's bash wrappers to work, I'm kinda curious why my
attempt did not.

Siegfried