Hang with 1.5.18, 1.5.19 snapshot 20051029

Volker Quetschke quetschke@scytek.de
Tue Nov 1 14:16:00 GMT 2005

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 08:52:33AM -0500, Volker Quetschke wrote:
>>Peter Rehley wrote:
>>
>>>I have a problem where a configure script is hanging.  I first saw  the
>>>behavior in 1.5.18, and it's still there in the latest snapshot.  The
>>>only machines that we are seeing it hang on are windows 2000  machines,
>>>sp4, with duel pentinum 933 mhz processors, and using ssh  to login to
>>>the machine.  I haven't been able to reproduce the  problem on single
>>>processor machines or when ssh is not used.
>>>
>>>Under 1.5.18, the hang occurred about 1 in ten times in the
>>>test_configure script (provided in the bash_test.tar.bz2 file.  Under
>>>the latest snapshot it's about 1 in 900.
>>>
>>>When the hang happens it appears that a process is completed, but  still
>>>can be found in the process directory.  The cmdline file says
>>><defunct>, but the process still shows up in the process list (ps -
>>>ef).  If I try to clean up by killing the process, the kill command
>>>says that the process doesn't exist.  The only way that I can make  the
>>>hung process go away is by using the task manager to kill the  process.
>>
>>Your symptoms look familiar to our OOo build hang. I'm curious if in
>>your case a:
>>
>>$ ls /proc/<hangpid>/fd
>>
>>also cures the hang. (Sometimes this has to be issued several times.)

> This would make it "not a regression", if so.
>
> In fact, I did see some reports that dmake hangs in 1.5.18 in the archives.

Yes, the current snapshots are a lot better than the 1.5.18 release. You already
fixed all of the problems I could reproduce. Thanks again, this is a lot better
than the current release.

But like the last remaining OOo build hang I cannot reproduce this hang either.

I tried the script in rxvt and whatever you call it if you use the cygwin icon.
It doesn't hang for me.

> I'm wondering if it is YA symptom of:
>
>   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-09/msg00923.html
>
> since, try as I might, I can't see any way that a process would hang and
> then become unstuck by performing a "ls /proc/<hangpid>/fd".

*shrug*

Regards

     Volker

--
PGP/GPG key  (ID: 0x9F8A785D)  available  from  wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
key-fingerprint 550D F17E B082 A3E9 F913  9E53 3D35 C9BA 9F8A 785D