BUG: Binutils strip corrupts dll files when using cygwin 1.5.18 and latest snapshot (20051103)

Peter Rehley peter@rehley.net
Fri Nov 4 00:18:00 GMT 2005

Hi,

After compiling a snapshot, I tried to strip the cygwin1.dll using
the binutils strip command.  After I did this I started seeing this
windows dialog box appear:

"ls.exe - Bad Image

The application or DLL F:\cygwin\home\peter\tmp\cygwin1.dll is not a
valid Windows image.  Please check this against your installation
diskette."

I first tried this on cygwin 1.5.18 using binutils 20050610.  I then
updated my cygwin to the latest snapshot and tried again, and I got
the same message.  I then tried rebuilding binutils, just to make
sure it wasn't a binutils build issue, and received the same error
message when I used this recompiled strip.

Let me know is you need additional information...cycheck output for
snapshot is attached.
Peter