Error compiling mod_perl with apache-1.3.33-2 and perl-5.8.7-4 (was: Apache with mod_perl up and running)

Nenad Antic nenad.antic@ericsson.com
Mon Nov 7 14:35:00 GMT 2005

Gerrit P. Haase wrote, on 11/4/2005 8:37 PM:

> Nenad Antic wrote:
>
>> Sorry for starting a new thread, but I think I made a mistake. My
>> original post disappeared, or rather never appeared among new
>> threaded messages, since I continued on an existing old thread. Just
>> hoping to get some help...
>>
>> Could somebody help? I have tried following the suggestions from
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-08/msg00128.html as well as other
>> threads on this issue and also the instructions that come with
>> mod_perl and apache.  I do manage to get mod_perl compiled (following
>> the receipe from Harald Joerg).  But then it doesn't work when trying
>> to start apache httpd.
>>
>> Attached are (in addition to cygcheck.out) the strace logs for a
>> httpd startup both with and without mod_perl (for comaprison).
>>
>> The mod_perl INSTALL document has a note about how both Perl and
>> Apache+mod_perl must be built using  the same compiler, and since gcc
>> seems to at some time have become something called "cygming special"
>> (I used to build most of the stuff from source before so I didn't
>> notice until now) I rebuilt perl from the cygwin source distribution
>> to make sure that it was not because of this compiler issue. But that
>> didn't help.
>>
>>  From what I can see there seems to be some problem (at least) after
>> the fork is done. fixup_mmaps_after_fork doesn't seem to complete
>> properly. What to do about it?
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>

> Please try ot run with a recent snapshot installed.
> http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>

> Gerrit

Hi,

I tried "cygwin-inst-20051106.tar.bz2". Rebuilt apache and mod_perl. It
didn't help. Same problem as before.

Is there any point in trying to rebuild perl as  well?

BTW i think there is a bug in the snapshot in file
/usr/include/sys/stdio.h, line 338. Had to change:

-ssize_t _EXFUN(__getline, (char **, size_t *, FILE *));
+ssize_t _EXFUN(__getline, (char **, size_t *, int, FILE *));

in order to be able to compile apache.

Don't know where to report this though.

/nenad