1.5.18: problem with drag and drop using XEmacs

Frank Papenfuss frank.papenfuss@uni-rostock.de
Thu Nov 17 13:42:00 GMT 2005

When I try to drag and drop a file into XEmacs it will not open the
file. I am not using X, just plain Windows. This behaviour of XEmacs
is specific to the distribution that comes with cygwin. I have seen a
similar bugreport "Drag and Drop Dead on cygwin on win XP" but no
solution so far. I analysed the problem and here is what I found:

Drag and Drop works with the cygwin command line window. If I drop the
file into the command line window I get say
> C:\temp\dasp\sim\delayline.vhd
I try to drag the same file onto XEmacs, it will show the cursor
indicating it accepts drops. However, once the file is dropped, it
will not open.

I open the same file manually (File|Open), modify and save the file to
disk. The message in the info window says:

Wrote /cygdrive/c/temp/dasp/sim/delayline.vhd

The problem appears to be in the drag and drop hook used by XEmacs.
When dropping a file to XEmacs it gets the ":" notation of the path.
Since it is using the cygwin environment, however, it needs
the "/cygdrive/c" notation. Thus, the open operation fails silently
and nothing happens.

Since drag and drop of files is a very useful feature I would very
much appreciate if this behaviour of the cygwin distribution would be
fixed in the future.

Thanks and kind regards,
Frank.