Domain change: permission denied in sshd

Wed Nov 23 03:07:00 GMT 2005

Ludovic Drolez wrote:
> Hi !
>
> We use opensshd to remote admin windows systems. But If the SID is
> changed we have the following problems:
> - I can log in but we can see 'Could not chdir to home directory
> /home/Administrateur: Permission denied'. And key based auth works even
> if the home directory is not readable (?!)
> - There's no way to update /etc/passwd via ssh to update the SID:
> Permission denied
> - So the only way seems to manually update the file from Windows :-(

Right.  If the SID that owned the file no longer exists, that's a Windows
thing and the most efficient way to deal with it is from Windows.  Just
take ownership of the directory tree.

> Is there another way ? If I disable 'ntsec', would it help ?

Perhaps, but that's just delaying the inevitable.  Fix the Windows problem.

Holliston, MA 01746