/dev/console : permission denied

Christopher McIntosh christophermcintosh@mchsi.com
Fri Nov 25 11:03:00 GMT 2005

For anyone who may have similar issue re:  'cygcheck -s -v -r' causing
the problem which I previously reported, I found a possible cause.  (I'd
be interested to know if someone can verify my findings herein.)

'cygcheck -s' caused Windows XP Pro/SP2 to log an error to the event log
as described in my previous email.  However, no such problem is caused
by running 'cygcheck -s' from the CMD.EXE shell.

Consequently, I am back to the issue which I was first
reporting/investigating:  Why does init report open(/dev/console) :
permission denied.

On a positive note, though, for would-be helpers who could help me
investigate the cause, I am finally able to attach the results of
'cygcheck -s -v -r' as a possible aid.

SUMMARY:
1.  'cygcheck -s -v -r' causes an error when executed within a Cygwin
shell (bash, sh, etc.); but is successful when executed within a CMD shell.

2.  I am consistently receiving a syslogd message indicating a
'permission denied' issue when init starts and/or stops.

I appreciate any assistance and am committed to working with others to
help investigate this issue.

Best Regards,
Christopher