Norton Internet Security and Cygwin: What settings for NIS?

René Berber r.berber@computer.org
Mon Nov 28 11:51:00 GMT 2005

surendar jeyadev wrote:
[snip]
> I have to try one more thing -- turn of Norton and
> unplug the cable. But there is something very fishy
> going one. When I tried to launch Cygwin a few minutes
> ago, Norton popped up a message saying
> 'hostname.exe is trying to contact DNS server'.

Bingo!  hostname is called from /etc/csh.cshrc and /etc/profile.d/complete.tcsh,
are you using csh or tcsh?  That would explain what is going on.

The solution would be to add hostname.exe to the list of programs allowed to use
the Internet (Windows firewall) or open the respective port (53 if it's using DNS).

HTH
--
René Berber