cant set baud rate with stty

tns1 tns1@cox.net
Sun Oct 9 17:41:00 GMT 2005

Peter Rehley wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2005, at 4:33 PM, tns1 wrote:
>
>> Cygwin on WinXP
>
> What version of cygwin are you using?

uname says CYGWIN_NT-5.1
cygcheck -c says 'no setup information found'
This is probably because this is a custom version of cygwin bundled with
some cross-development tools (altera nios2). It does not live in \cygwin
, and there are no packages, just binaries. I have already read on the
cross-development forum that this custom version will not co-exist
alongside a normal cygwin install, and I am wary of trying to update
pieces of it since I wont be able to use the cygwin setup util to do so.

>> I am trying to redirect the IO from a terminal app to a serial port.
>> $terminal_app > /dev/com5
>> Works but uses the wrong baud rate.

I am really after '$terminal_app<>/dev/com5' but this only redirects the
input. Maybe this is just not possible in the shell.

>> $stty /dev/com5 115200
>> Does not change the baud: 'unable to perform all requested  operations'.
>> I have tried many variations on this syntax.
>> $stty does not even show the usb adaptor I am using on com5, but it
>> does not let me change the baud rate on the ports that it does see.
>>
> Did you try looking for this problem.....
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-08/msg00485.html

That post sounds like a different problem, but I did see a post talking
about problems setting the baud.

> Try a snapshot.  You might be surprised.

I installed the latest version of cygwin & coreutils (5.90-1) on a
different machine - it gives the same result, 'unable to perform all
requested operations'.
I noticed that setup did not automatically choose the very lastest
versions - maybe the mirror was not up-to-date on all dependancies?.
Anyway, I had to manually select the 5.90-1 over the 5.2.1-5

At this point I am just trying to verify that what I am trying to do
should work. Does '$stty /dev/com1 19200' change the baud for anyone in
a shell or a script, or am I chasing my tail? If it works, what version
does it work for?