gethostbyname_r

Brian Ford Brian.Ford@flightsafety.com
Tue Oct 11 16:00:00 GMT 2005

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Jason Pyeron wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Oct 11 10:15, Jason Pyeron wrote:
> >> I am tring to port an application, but I cant seem to find the glibc2
> >> gethostbyname_r function.
> >
> > It doesn't exist on Cygwin.
>
> so is this the only way to go? has any one verified the code?
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-04/msg00532.html
>
> how come it never made it in?
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-04/msg00540.html
>
> or since it is just calling the windows api, can I
>
> #define gethostbyname_r gethostbyname

There is almost no need for gethostbyname_r on Cygwin since its sole
purpose is to create a thread safe interface.  In most all cases, Cygwin's
gethostbyname is thread safe.

Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer
VITAL - Visual Simulation Systems
FlightSafety International
the best safety device in any aircraft is a well-trained pilot...