Why is setup.exe so difficult? Am I missing something?

Jim Kleckner jek-cygwin1@kleckner.net
Wed Oct 12 16:21:00 GMT 2005

Matt England wrote:

  > I find cygwin's setup.exe extremely difficult to understand, and over
> the years I've used it, I have found it somewhat buggy (unless the
> "bugs" I find are really just "features" that I don't understand).
>
> The biggest question: why do myself and everyone else in my software
> development group that I manage (as well as everyone else with whom I've
> spoken over the years regarding cygwin) find cygwin's setup.exe so
> perplexing?

One confusing thing that could be improved is to clearly label the
radio buttons as "Default Action:" and to change "Curr" to be something
like "Update" or "Latest".  The very non-standard way that these
buttons interact with the list is confusing and every little bit of
help will help.  A more standard way would be a selection-action
interface.