Windows update vs. cygrunsrv

Rolf Campbell thats.unpossible@gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 16:35:00 GMT 2005

Eric Blake wrote:
> I don't know it this was unique to my machine, but am
> reporting it in case anyone else runs into the same
> issue.  When running Microsoft update today, on Win2k,
> the patch for Security Update for DirectX 9 for Windows
> 2000 (KB904706) hung during installation, with an
> instance of cygrunsrv hogging 100% CPU, until I had
> stopped every last one of my cygrunsrv processes.  I
> don't know what the Microsoft update was trying to do
> to running services during the update, but it obviously
> didn't interact very well with cygrunsrv.
>
> Anyways, since stopping everything allowed the installation
> to proceed, and the required reboot brought up a working
> system, I don't know if it is worth trying to patch cygrunsrv
> to behave nicer in the presence of whatever the Windows
> upgrade was throwing at it.  Rather, I'm just posting this
> as a sort of FYI for anyone else that might encounter the
> same behavior.

I updated 3 machines: 2 XP boxes an 1 Win2k box.  All 3 were running
cygrunsrv and sshd.  I only experienced problems on the Win2k box.
cygrunsrv hogged the cpu until I killed it, then sshd hogged the cpu
until I killed it.  After killing those processes, the update proceeded
without issue and after the restart everything (including ssh) was
working fine.