When are Windows Short Path Names required

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Mon Oct 24 00:26:00 GMT 2005

zzapper wrote:

> >I've just had another case where the I had to use the short form, is the short form the "real name"?
> I think I've may be mislead you, I think my problem was more that when theres an interaction between
> *nix scripts & environment. Sometimes even quoting doesn't seem to carry the correct path info thru
> to the final WinApp , so you have to move the app to non-space path location or use the short name
> above.

Sometimes it can be hard, especially when you are dealing with both
Cygwin and non-Cygwin programs, because the quoting rules differ.  But
it is always possible, and I can't believe that there exists a situation
where you are actually forced to use the short filename.  If you have
one, post it.

Brian