Installation of cygserver as a Win2k service says it fails to start but ps show it as running.

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Fri Oct 28 19:30:00 GMT 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, John Griffiths wrote:

> After installing cygwin, I install some cygwin applications as Windows
> services using cygrunsrv, for instance, cygserver.
>
>    Administrator@snowwhite ~
>    $     cygrunsrv -S cygserver
>    cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32
>    error 1062:
>    The service has not been started.
>
> The service shows up in the Windows services but not as started. Trying to
> start the service fails because it is already running.

I've reported this in <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-10/msg00808.html>.
This seems to be fixed in the snapshots.

> The only way I have found to clear up the situation is to format the
> hard drive and reinstall Win2k which is a bit drastic. I hope there is a
> better solution. I tried searching the archives but did not see a
> solution or even the same problem.

Try a snapshot (<http://cygwin.com/snapshots/>).
HTH,
	Igor