Cygwin setup.exe 2.510.2.1 package installation crashing problem

Mark Knipfer mknipfer@mfm.com
Thu Sep 8 14:36:00 GMT 2005

I ran setup.exe (version 2.510.2.1), first selected to 'Download Without
Installing' and received the updated packages.  I ran setup.exe again
and selected 'Install from Local Directory.  In Cygwin's Progress window
after the parsing of the ini file, Cygwin crashes.  Windows XP shows a
Dr. Watson window two times where I click Don't Send.  The Windows XP
SP2 Event Viewer log shows this cause:

   Event Type: Error
   Event Source: Application Error
   Event Category: None
   Event ID: 1000
   Faulting application setup.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module
   ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00043345.

I tried the following without success:

* Renamed and then deleted the setup.ini files in the FTP directory.

* Renamed the FTP directory where the packages were downloaded.

I do not know much about troubleshooting Cygwin as it has always updated
without any problems.

I read the Cygwin FAQ, searched in the cygwin and cygwin-apps archives
seeing similar errors with no solutions or workarounds, and searched the
Internet via Google for possible soutions.

Is there any workaround or solutions for this problem?

Thank you.