sshd install problems | WinXP Pro system

Evan Cooch cooch17@verizon.net
Sun Sep 11 21:08:00 GMT 2005

>Follow the instructions in C:\Cygwin\usr\share\doc\Cygwin\openssh.README, that
>is the official documentation.

OK - have now gone through said README twice. Somewhat helpful, but
largely obtuse in places.

e.g.,  "If you start sshd as deamon via cygrunsrv.exe you MUST give the
"-D" option to sshd. Otherwise the service can't get started at all."

Meaning, what? You pass -D as an argument when invoking cygrunsrv
--start sshd? Hmmm...trying that gives the error message that -D is
not a valid option for sshd - which makes the text in the README hard
to interpret.

>Other than that, look at your event log and see if there is any further
>information about the failed service startup.

Nothing...

>You mention "host-ssh-config", is that a typo? the script is named
>"ssh-host-config".  Its failure is very strange, perhaps you have a corrupted
>installation, you are not using text mode, are you? (in setup you
>have to select
>if Cygwin is installed for all users or not, text- or bin-mode, best
>results are
>with "for all" and "binmode (a.k.a. Unix)").

OK - now I know what you're after. I re-downloaded setup.exe, ran it,
and tried BOTH text, and binmode (i.e., tried it with text mode -
then after deleting c:\cygwin, tried again with binmode).

Made no difference. As for a corrupted installation - I tried the
above procedure using 3 different download mirrors. Made no difference.

Each time when I run ssh-host-config (following a clean install of cygwin), it

1. generates the keys
2. asks about using privilege separation

And thats it - it doesn't ask me for anything else - it doesn't ask
if I want to create 'sshd' as a local user, or if I want in install
as a service, or anything after the privilege separation query.

When I run ssh-host-config -d (i.e., in debug mode) as suggested,
there was nothing obvious about why it exited - there were no error
messages at all. It simply said I was finished.  Is there a log file
I should look at (and post here) that might help suss out what its not working?

But, since I can't get the service to start, obvious all is not well.

So, I'm wondering if at this point I should manually do what
ssh-host-config is apparently refusing to do - if this is an option,
could someone provide the basic steps?