rm problem: Directory not empty

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Tue Sep 13 10:29:00 GMT 2005

----Original Message----
>From: James R. Phillips
>Sent: 12 September 2005 19:30

  Sorry that this is off-topic, but it comes up often enough in the context
of this general discussion to be worth mentioning.

> I've also seen badly behaving windows programs, which refuse to "let go"
> of a directory once they have used a file in it, until the program is
> explicitly closed.  This is most annoying, as you have to keep closing
> program windows until suddenly you guess right, the directory is freed,
> and can be deleted.

  This behaviour is in fact caused by the common controls library,
particularly the open file dialog.  It seems to keep a handle on the last
directory in which you opened a file.  It's not enough to select file->open
and then browse it to a new directory and cancel; you actually need to open
a file from there.  (Or exit the program, as you mention).  This problem can
be a right pain when the application in question is a system tray tool and
even worse when it's explorer itself that is keeping the dir open...

    cheers,
      DaveK