cygwin forgets CTRL key press

Brooks Moses bmoses@stanford.edu
Fri Sep 16 07:39:00 GMT 2005

Luke Kendall wrote:
> Has anyone else noted that in vi (either in a plain Cygwin window or in
> an rxvt window, in an X session or not, also in xterm), that if you hold
> down the CTRL key and press keys at intervals (like F to page down
> through a file), and wait four seconds before another key press it's as
> if you don't have CTRL pressed at all?  You have to release it and press
> afresh.
>
> The same applies to "more": hold CTRL down and press f, and it beeps at
> you to indicate that's invalid; still hold CTRL down, wait 4 seconds,
> then press f again, and it pages forward.

FWIW, I just checked on my system (Windows 2003 Server, sticky-keys
off), and can't reproduce it, even using times far longer than 4
seconds.  (I also can't reproduce Igor's claim that Windows will offer
to turn on sticky-keys if I hold down a modifier key too long.)

Have you confirmed that this is only happening with Cygwin, and not with
things like Notepad?

- Brooks