Installation problem

Larry Hall lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com
Mon Sep 26 00:36:00 GMT 2005

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>

>> At 05:58 AM 9/23/2005, you wrote:
>> >Hi to all,
>> >
>> >----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >
>> >I am getting same problem with my new installation with
>> >current(latest) setup.exe.
>> >But my setup hangs with message....
>> >Running...
>> >No Package
>> >/etc/postinstall/sysvinit.sh
>> >
>> >And I kept that stage upto almost 3 hours and at last I canceled it..
>> >I m trying this since last 3 days... But yet my setup is not completed..
>> >Help me as soon as possible...
>>

>> If you're just looking for the quickest way to get going, rerun 'setup.exe'
>> and install the default set of packages.  Then rerun it and install whatever
>> else you want.
>
>oh sorry
>It did not helped me..
>Actually I have tried fresh Installation as u told(means first time
>default installation and then selected items installation). But this
>time also it hangs at "sysvinit.sh".
>

>> If you want to help determine why this is happening so that it can be fixed,
>> you could try grabbing 'strace' from another Cygwin installation and
>> attaching to the 'bash' process that's running 'sysvinit.sh'.  If you can
>> get an idea of where it's going wrong from this output, it may give some
>> insight into the solution.
>>

>And ya I did not understand this point. can u plz tell me in detail.

Well, if you could install the default installation, then you can read and
follow the problem reporting guidelines at:

<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

You can also read the man page for 'strace'.  But essentially you want to
do a 'ps -ef' first, find the 'bash' process that's running 'sysvinit.sh'
and use the PID of that process as the <n> parameter below:

strace -o sysvinit.txt --pid=<n>

Tracing statements will go to the 'sysvinit.txt' file.  You can view this
file and see if there's anything in there toward the end that looks
"interesting" or like an error.  If so, send that excerpt of the file to
the list if it does not already give you some idea of the problem.  The
output of 'ps -ef' may be helpful as well.

Holliston, MA 01746