1.5.x: Windows 2003 - no console output

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Fri Sep 30 12:03:00 GMT 2005

Igor Kalders wrote:

> That was what I did first, before I started digging. The bash prompt even
> doesn't pop up. For your clear view: If I double-click the batch in Windows,
> a cms.exe console windows pops up and goes away. So it looks like the
> command really gets invoked. But invoking bash by double-clicking
> cygwin.bat, is not any different from manually starting cmd.exe and calling
> bash.
>
> Also, adjusting CYGWIN within the batch makes no difference.

That does sound extremely frustrating.  I see no reason why it shouldn't
work based on what you've done.  You have to understand that the reason
I focused on all the stuff about foreign packages on the system / in the
path is because that kind of thing turns out to be the problem very
frequently, so it must be eliminated from the equation first.

Have you tried the latest snapshot release of the cygwin1.dll?  It also
might be productive to run strace on something simple (like "id") and
post the output to the list (as an attachment, possibly compressed) or
on a http: link somewhere.  But, if the act of running it under strace
causes it to work, then that might not reveal anything.

Brian