'cron' fails to stop

René Berber r.berber@computer.org
Sun Apr 2 02:38:00 GMT 2006

Jerry D. Hedden wrote:

> I have installed 'cron' as a service using the following:
>     cygrunsrv -I cron -d "CYGWIN cron" -p /usr/sbin/cron -a -D -e
> "CYGWIN=server ntsec tty" -i

First mistake, you should have read /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/cron.README and,
following those instructions, used cron-config.

> It starts and runs fine using:  cygrunsrv -S cron
> A reading of the services shows:
>
> Service             : cygserver
> Display name        : CYGWIN cygserver
> Current State       : Running
> Controls Accepted   : Stop
> Command             : /usr/sbin/cygserver
>
> Service             : cron
> Display name        : CYGWIN cron
> Current State       : Running
> Controls Accepted   : Stop
> Command             : /usr/sbin/cron -D

Does this look fine to you?

You have 2 cron daemons, cron is not built to do that.

> However, when I try to stop it using: cygrunsrv -E cron
> I get the following:
>
> cygrunsrv: Error stopping a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error
> 1053:
> The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
> fashion.

Stop which one of the daemons?  I told you cron is not built to do what you are
doing.
--
René Berber