cvs over ssh with tcsh

Jay Abel jabel@flex.com
Wed Apr 5 07:01:00 GMT 2006

This is just a ping to see if anyone has noticed problems running cvs in
command line server mode over ssh with tcsh installed as the login shell (in
/etc/passwd).  After a lot of testing (thanks Rene Berber) is seems that the
problem only occurs when tcsh is my login shell.  If I change my login shell
to /bin/bash, the problem goes away.

versions are as follows:

Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.17 (client/server)
tcsh 6.14.00 (Astron) 2005-03-25 (i386-intel-posix) options
8b,nls,dl,al,kan,rh,color,dspm
OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005
Cygwin DLL version info: DLL version: 1.5.20

Additional info attached.

I googled 'ssh tcsh' and found that some programs (sftp) don't like noisy rc
scripts, but

tcsh -C /bin/true

produces no output.

The symptoms of failure that I obsererve fall into two categories:

1. cvs client reports 'unrecognized command' along with a piece of one of
the files uploaded displayed as the offending command, or

2. cvs trace stops dead, with both client and server processes in an O state
by ps.

It doesn't seem to matter whether the client is started in bash or tcsh; as
long as the login shell is set to bash, things work perfectly.  When the
login shell is set to tcsh, cvs fails with one of the above errors.  The
errors are consistent (same exact bit of text, or fails at same point) for
the same set of files.  Changing the compression level or which files are to
be uploaded changes the error.  AFAIK, if the files aren't modified, the
failure always occurs in exactly the same manner.

For cvs to work at all in server mode, a recent cygwin1.dll is required to
avoid a problem with cvs attempting to create directories of the form
/tmp/cvs-servxxx/. (with a trailing dot).

I am using binmode mounts, but the problem also occurs when using textmode
mounts.

I have also (rarely) found that the cvs server process was suspended S state
by ps, but haven't been able to reproduce this reliably.

The problem may have been recently introduced; I was using the same machine
as a cvs server as recently as 4 months ago.  It is possible (likely) that I
made configuration changes responsible for the failure.  In any case, I've
updated versions between then and now, and I am sorry to say that I cannot
say with certainty which versions I was using before, or at least I don't
know where that information might be hidden, if it does exist.  At this
point I'm mostly interested in whether anyone else has ever seen this
behavior.  If not, I'll continue to try to acertain what it is about my tcsh
configuration which is causing the problem.

Jay Abel