cvs over ssh with tcsh

Igor Peshansky pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Wed Apr 5 13:33:00 GMT 2006

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Jay Abel wrote:

> This is just a ping to see if anyone has noticed problems running cvs in
> command line server mode over ssh with tcsh installed as the login shell
> (in /etc/passwd).  After a lot of testing (thanks Rene Berber) is seems
> that the problem only occurs when tcsh is my login shell.  If I change
> my login shell to /bin/bash, the problem goes away.
>
> versions are as follows:
> [snip]
> I googled 'ssh tcsh' and found that some programs (sftp) don't like
> noisy rc scripts, but

cvs also doesn't like noisy scripts.

> tcsh -C /bin/true
>
> produces no output.

I take it you meant "tcsh -c /bin/true" (lowercase "c").  Your test above
only tests tcsh in non-login mode.  Try 'tcsh -l' or '(exec -l tcsh)' from
bash instead.

> The symptoms of failure that I obsererve fall into two categories:
>
> 1. cvs client reports 'unrecognized command' along with a piece of one
> of the files uploaded displayed as the offending command, or
>
> 2. cvs trace stops dead, with both client and server processes in an O
> state by ps.

Both of these seem to indicate extra output from somewhere.

> [snip]
> At this point I'm mostly interested in whether anyone else has ever seen
> this behavior.  If not, I'll continue to try to acertain what it is
> about my tcsh configuration which is causing the problem.

I'd say you have a noisy .login (or /etc/csh.login)...  If you rule that
out, we can look for other causes.

FWIW, simply "ssh user@host cvs server" should show you all of the output
your cvs client sees (and complains about)...
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/