Reproducible, simple bug; g++ toolchain / std::string bug?

Steven Brown swbrown@ucsd.edu
Sat Apr 8 00:35:00 GMT 2006

I've run into what appears to be a bug in the g++ toolchain or the STL's
std::string using the latest Cygwin dist (up to date as of right now).
Minimal test case attached.

If my shared library does a callback to a function returning
std::string, and only if the std::string is empty, I get an abort when
that std::string is destroyed.

The attached files will show this bug - run make and the xxx-cygwin.exe
that's produced and it will abort.  The same will happen if you use
libtool to build it the right way - the autoconf/ dir in the bug's
repository[1] can be used for that if you want to see it (copy it into
the main dir, ./autogen.sh && make).

Any ideas as to where the problem lies or how to further identify it?

[1] https://svn.variadic.org/public/trunk/weirdbug/