Not being given the option of installing packages on setup

Natalia M. Belfiore nmb@berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 18 07:33:00 GMT 2006

Hello
I am a relatively new cygwin user and very new to programming. I have
successfully installed and run cygwin and perl and some unix utilities on
one of my PCs. I recently tried to install it on another pc (my laptop) but
I do not seem to have the option of installing packages. Every single
choice in the expanding menu of packages says "skip". I have tried deleting
the setup folders and redownloading it 4 times, and every time I get the
same thing. I tried installing whatever it will install anyway, and then
opening the cygwin window and asking it to show me the available packages
(with the cygcheck -p command) and for kicks, to tell me the perl version
that's installed, and each time it confirms that there is nothing.

Is anyone aware of what conditions might cause this to be the case? I
ostensibly have Windows XP professional running on both computers, but I
notice that some things run differently on my laptop than my desktop, so
perhaps there is something set differently. If anyone can suggest things I
can check, I am happy to do that.

Thank you for your help,
Tasha