Not being given the option of installing packages on setup

Igor Peshansky pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Tue Apr 18 22:07:00 GMT 2006

Tasha,

Please make sure your mailer respects the Reply-To: header -- I set it for
a reason.  Both Dave and I read the list regularly -- it was not necessary
to Cc: us.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU> reformatted.
Also, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Natalia (Tasha) Belfiore wrote:

> * From: "Dave Korn" <dave dot korn at artimi dot com>
> * Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:16:48 +0100
>
> > On 18 April 2006 16:47, Natalia M. Belfiore wrote:
> >
> > > 1. I did try switching to full mode and everything disappeared in
> > > the menu of choices.
> >
> >   Are you sure that the column widths on the chooser aren't just
> > messed up or it's scrolled too far or something like that?
> >
> > > 4. I have attached a text file of the cygcheck -svc output.
> >
> >   Which reveals you to have a fully working cygwin installation.
> >
> >   BTW, when it says "Skip" next to something and you want that
> > something installed, click on the word "Skip" and it should change to
> > a version number (if it's a single package), which means "install this
> > version", or the word "Install" (if it's an entire category), which
> > means "Install current versions of all packages in category".

Are you sure?  Did you try switching to the "Full" view and maximizing the
setup window?

> Now that it's installed, it is not listed if I search by cygcheck -s,
> cygcheck -c or cygcheck -p (I understand that at least one of those
> should tell me what packages were downloaded and available to install,
> even if I didn't manage to install it yet). I tried installing from 2
> different mirror sites in case they were somehow different.

"cygcheck -cd perl" shows

Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version
perl                 5.8.7-5

on my machine.  "cygcheck -p perl" gives me 120 matches in various
packages (the search string "perl" is pretty general).  You're going to
have to be much more specific about the exact commands you're using for us
to be able to help you.

> 2. I seem to have unix utilities in my laptop install of cygwin.

Which is one of the purposes of Cygwin. :-)  As Dave said, according to
the output of "cygcheck -svr", you have a fully functional installation.

> 3. "skip" changed to "keep" after the initial install when I went back
> to the setup.exe to see if I could install perl or anything else that
> wasn't there when I first downloaded, later. This makes sense in light
> of Dave's comment below.

Setup also supports the "Not installed" and "Up-to-date" views (keep
cycling that view button).  Anything available for installation that you
have not installed should be in the "Not installed" view.

In light of what Dave said, here's another WAG: are you installing "from
the internet", or "from a local directory"?  If the latter, you will only
see the packages you've previously downloaded to your machine.  If the
former, try choosing another mirror.

> 4. the rxvt option in the link that Igor sent me seems interesting. But
> I have no idea how to "switch" these things. There wasn't enough
> information in the page that I was linked to to tell me. I'm sorry --
> I'm new at this.

Did you read the rest of that FAQ entry (which instructs you how to do
copy/paste with the regular command window)?
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/