network interface names

Ian ian.downard@nrl.navy.mil
Fri Apr 21 17:55:00 GMT 2006

How does cygwin's eth(whatever) relate to the windows interface names?

For example, on my laptop, eth0 is tied to my wireless network
connection and eth1 is tied to my wired local area connection.

I'm developing DHCP software for cygwin, and I need to be able to derive
the cygwin network interface name (e.g. eth0, or eth1...) given either
the connection's MAC address, its IP address, or its windows interface
name (e.g. "Local Area Connection", or "Gigabit Integrated Controller",
or "WLAN Mini-PCI Card #2", or something like).

Thanks for any help,
  Ian