Redirecting bash stdin

Dave kilroyd@googlemail.com
Mon Apr 24 20:53:00 GMT 2006

Eric Blake wrote:
> According to Dave on 4/21/2006 11:45 AM:
>
>>I'm trying to get a mingw GUI application to pipe commands to cygwins
>>bash by redirecting its stdin as described here
>><http://support.microsoft.com/?id=190351>.
>
> Why not just spawn bash with command line arguments, and use the -c flag
> to pass the commands as arguments rather than on stdin?

I'm aware of the -c flag. I may use it if I'm convinced the pipe won't
work, but really I'm trying to avoid creating lots of "bash -l" instances.

>>Does anyone know what I can do to get bash to respond promptly? Or will
>>this approach not work with bash?
>
> It might not be bash's fault, but a general limitation of how cygwin
> handles pipes from non-cygwin processes.  A simple test case is a
> necessity if you expect help debugging this.

I've been attempting to produce one. Strangely the test case works as
expected (ie. no problem).

Also I've tried starting bash with "bash -l" and "bash -li". Strangely
the latter does worse than the former - all the commands execute on exit.

Also starting to strace bash.

>>GNU bash, version 3.00.16(14)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)
>
> What about upgrading to bash 3.1, now that bash-3.1-5 is the current version?

I've upgraded to 3.1-5. Behaviour is unchanged.

Given that my testcase doesn't exhibit the problem, I'll slowly keep
adding things until it does break. Then I'll have to figure how to make
it minimal. *sigh*

Thanks,

Dave.