Call for testing Cygwin snapshot

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Tue Apr 25 16:23:00 GMT 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 06:27:17AM -0700, Jerry D. Hedden wrote:
>Jerry D. Hedden wrote:
>>I have a cron job (a bash script) that runs every 6 minutes, polling
>>and downloading info off the web.
>>
>>The problem is the script hangs at various places and the stuck
>>processes keep building up.
>>
>>Further, I have to kill these processes using the task monitor: kill
>>reports 'No such process'.
>
>Christopher Faylor replied:
>>As mentioned above, a test case showing the problem sure would be
>>nifty.
>
>I agree and would have provided one if I could.  However, I have no
>idea what is causing this, nor how to write a test case for it.
>
>As I said, it's a cron job running a bash script - nothing fancy.  The
>hang does not happen on every invokation of the script, but it does
>occur frequently.  Where in the script it gets stuck seems to be
>random: wget, mkdir, mv, date, diff, etc..

Can you at least post the script?

>> Also, knowing the first snapshot which shows the problem would be helpful.
>
>As I said, these sort of problems started after the 2006-03-09 snapshot.
> I double checked, and the problem does occur with the 2006-03-13
>snapshot.

What you said was "However, I have experienced problems with most
snapshots after it", where "it" was the 2006-03-09 snapshot.  The use of
the word "most" rather than "all" there implies, to me at least, that
there were snapshots that worked.  You seem to now be saying that this
is not the case, which implies that something stopped working for you
on 2006-03-13 and that no snapshot on or after that point worked.

cgf