"Ghost" processes on Cygwin

mwoehlke mwoehlke-nospam@tibco.com
Wed Apr 26 22:54:00 GMT 2006

Volker Quetschke wrote:
> mwoehlke wrote:
>> I'm seeing something funny. While trying to build a large program on
>> Cygwin using cl.exe (i.e. I am building a non-Cygwin app; just using
>> Cygwin to drive 'make'), every now and then, cl.exe hangs. Before you
>> tell me I'm on the wrong list :-), here's the funny part. If I do 'ps'
>> in Cygwin, I can see the 'cl' process, along with its WINPID. However,
>> it doesn't show up in task manager! Also, there are about five
>> processes that are clearly Cygwin processes (bash.exe or sh.exe) that
>> do NOT show up in Cygwin's 'ps'.
> Can you enter
> $ ls /proc/*/fd
> in another cygwin console and report if it helps? It might unhang the stuck
> process.

Hmm... nope. In fact, that got stuck too. 'ls /proc/2072' dies and must
be 'kill -9'd. 'ps | grep 2072' says:
    PID  PPID  PGID WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
   2072     1  1876   2072  con 1003   Apr 21 /usr/bin/bash

'ls /proc/<pid of cl.exe>/fd' failed to revive it. If I cat it's cmdline
(in its /proc), I see that it matches what 'make' is claiming it ran.
Something a little suspicious(?); fd's 5-7 are all pointing at the same
place and that place is a directory. Also, 255 is pointing at the shell
script (/w32dev/cl32.exe) that launched (exec()'d) the process. If it's
relevant, 'make' (which does show up as the parent) actually launched
'cl'; it exec()'d through 3-4 scripts to get to the actual binary.

>> Is there any logic to this that I'm missing? I want to attach a
>> debugger (probably devenv, since gdb - unsurprisingly - doesn't seem
>> to work) to cl.exe to try to find out why it's hung, but I can't find
>> the pid to attach to!

(Also, for the sake of brevity, please don't quote my cygcheck.out! :-)
Um... PCYMTNQTA? ;-) (TA=Text Attachments))

--
Matthew
All of my signatures are 100% original. Including this one.