Call for testing Cygwin snapshot

Thu Apr 27 14:14:00 GMT 2006

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Apr 25 00:42, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> I'll take a look at this w.r.t clearcase.  How exactly should I test --
>> what am I looking for?  Just a little app that compares dirent.d_ino and
>>  stat.st_ino for a specified file on the strange filesystem?
>
> Thanks for the offer.  Can you please send the output of the tiny tool I
> mailed in http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2006-01/msg00818.html?

Sent separately.

> Other than that, yes, a bit of comparison between d_ino and st_ino of
> would be helpful.  You could use the tool I posted in
> http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2006-04/msg00314.html.  Just keep in
> mind that it has to be build using the sys/dirent.h header from the
> snapshots.

Sent separately.

> Another important factor is, if the underlying filesystem tends to
> change the inode number between subsequent calls.  You can either
> compare the inode numbers using the above tool, or you can see if
> you encounter the dreaded "cp: skipping file 'foo', as it was replaced
> while being copied" problem.

Nope, it was very consistent and did not change over time. One oddity is
that if you access a file (in a particular view (MVFS-speak for branch,
more or less)) via the 'multi-view' mount

/cygdrive/m/my_view/my_VOB/some-path-to/some-file

you get (consistently) one number for st_ino and d_ino (call it 'A')

But, if you mount my_view to a drive and access the same file in that
same view via the mount

/cygdrive/r/my_VOB/some-path-to/some-file

you get (consistently) a different number for st_ino and d_ino (call it
'B').

Not sure if that's important (maybe it's expected behavior?)

--
Chuck