Error on /bin/sh -login: "cannot remove /bin/sh.exe: Permission denied"

Webb Roberts webb.roberts@gtri.gatech.edu
Thu Apr 27 17:30:00 GMT 2006

I just updated my cygwin install.

on running /bin/sh -login, I got the following message:

/bin/cp: cannot remove `/bin/sh.exe': Permission denied

Looks like the error is coming out of /etc/profile.d/00bash.sh: the part
where it's trying to update /bin/sh.exe via a copy in the midst of
running profiles:

/bin/cp -fpuv /bin/bash.exe /bin/sh.exe 2>&1 >> /var/log/setup.log.full

1.  Isn't it a little strange to have this done on user time every time
users run profiles?
2. If the redirect and the file append were reversed, I'd never see the
error; it would go straight to the logs.  As it is, nothing goes to the
logs.
3. Once I killed all my /bin/sh processes, and ran /bin/bash -login, the
copyover happened OK.  I'm just a freak trying to stick to sh.
4. Should this code be running when I'm under /bin/sh?  Looks like it's
bash-specific; I'd expect the default profile code for sh to be sh-specific.

Thanks!
Webb

--
Webb Roberts (webb.roberts@gtri.gatech.edu)
Research Scientist, Georgia Tech Research Institute