[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: sed-4.1.5-2

Joachim Achtzehnter joachima@netacquire.com
Wed Aug 2 18:05:00 GMT 2006

Hi Corinna,

You wrote:

> I've updated the version of sed to 4.1.5-2.
>
> It reverts the default behaviour of sed back to treating CR/LF as
> lineendings, in contrast to 4.1.5-1, which only treated the trailing LF
> as lineending and the preceeding CR as the last character on the line.

Thank you very much for this fix. It will make life easier for all of us
who struggle with a mix of native and Cygwin tools. It is very much
appreciated that as far as line endings are concerned the attitude taken by
Cygwin developers is not "use POSIX line endings".

At the risk of provoking another salvo of emotional responses I'd like to
express the hope that those who take the opposite attitude with respect to
path names ("use POSIX paths") may reconsider their position. I would
venture to suggest that a large proportion of serious users of Cygwin must
deal with mixed native/Cygwin tools/programs at lest to some extent. Trying
to accommodate native standards for things like line endings and path names
will obviously make things easier for everybody except those who use Cygwin
as a pure POSIX environment that they never leave. Think about it this way:
  If you say "use POSIX paths or find something other than Cygwin to do the
job" you might as well go one step further: run a POSIX operating system.
In other words, you're one the way to undermining the rationale for
Cygwin's existence.

Nobody expects that toleration of native standards which conflict with
POSIX in important ways will ever be perfect, it can't be. But this is no
reason to tear out what's already there.

Thanks,

Joachim

--
work:     joachima@netacquire.com   (http://www.netacquire.com)