cygwin, Coda and symbolic links

Adam Wolbach awolbach@andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Aug 3 22:40:00 GMT 2006

Hello cygwin mailing list,

I'm a new subscriber looking to get some information relevant to the
Coda File System development at Carnegie Mellon University, which uses
cygwin as a platform to run on Windows 2000/WinXP. We rely heavily on
symbolic links for a number of different features, most significantly
representing conflicts within the file system. Conflicts are
inconsistent file system objects which are represented as "dangling" or
"broken" symlinks pointing to the file identifier of the inconsistent
object, e.g., if "foo" fell into conflict:

[host]# ls -l foo
lr--r--r-- 1 root nfsnobody [date/time] foo ->
@xxxxxxxx.yyyyyyyy.zzzzzzzz@realmname

Coda's current symlink support in cygwin is nonexistent, but we are
looking to support symlinks in the same manner cygwin appears to -- as
special Windows shortcuts that cygwin can interpret as symlinks.
Allowing cygwin to see our conflicts as broken symlinks would be a big
win for our repair mechanisms. We looked at the internals of a Windows
.lnk shortcut file and (of course) part appears binary; we assume
somewhere along the line that the cygwin developers reverse-engineered
the contents of these files to hijack them for their own purposes.

First question, I've hunted for this information around the website, in
the past mailing-list archives and the web, and it doesn't appear
readily available. Is there anyone on the list who knows more about the
internals of Windows shortcuts and could clue the Coda developers in?
Also, how these shortcuts should be crafted to appear as symlinks to
cygwin? We already know that they must be read-only files from Windows'
perspective, and cygwin appears to use the "comment" field under
Properties for its own addressing.

Secondly, is there a more appropriate mailing list for this question?
(maybe the developers' list?)

Any information is appreciated, as well as a reply-all on any replies.
Thanks!

Adam Wolbach