Checking XCOPY Exit Value in Cygwin Bash

Shane wolfpack@inbox.com
Sun Aug 6 17:16:00 GMT 2006

Igor Peshansky wrote:
> Nope, you didn't have to.  Something like
>
> (cd "$2/.." && find "$2" -name "*.$1" | tar cfT - -) | tar xfC - "$3"
>
> would do the job of "XCOPY /S" using POSIX means.
>

> If you go POSIX, you can use the --keep-newer-files tar option.
>

> Of course it didn't.  Please read a good bash tutorial, or the "Special
> Parameters" section of the bash manpage.

Hi Igor and Mark,
    Thank you very much for the quick reply.

I was initially using

tar -cf - `find "$source_dir" -name "*.$file_ext" -print` | ( cd "$dest_dir" && tar xBf - )

but it had a problem with path names with spaces. Obviously being not that good in bash scripting, I couldn't get over that issue. So that was why I decided to use the XCOPY command. I will use your method and see. Thanks again.

	I made a silly mistake in my former email. I was actually checking $? (not $!) for the exit code, but it didn't work. But I saw in a later reply from Mark that it worked for him. I will check it again. Maybe I was doing something silly.

thanks again
Regards
Shane