autom4te-2.13 missing in autoconf2.1-2.13-1

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Wed Aug 9 17:13:00 GMT 2006

Hi Charles,

Please see below.

Charles Wilson schrieb:
> [...]
> given machine (See 'man update-alternatives').  The drawback here is
> that invoking 'automake' directly no longer displays "intelligence" when
> choosing which version to run; it is configured on a per-machine basis,
> and does not "intelligently" adapt to the package.
>
> I put "intelligence" in quotes to emphasize that this "intelligence" was
> nothing of the sort.  It was an artifact of our "fixed-chain"
> stable/devel installation.  In the OLD system, you had exactly two choices:
>
>    autoconf-2.13 + automake-1.4p5 + libtool-1.4.3
> or
>    autoconf-2.5x + automake-1.x.y + libtool-1.5.x
>
> So, we could intelligently choose between autoconf-2.13 and
> autoconf-2.5x -- BUT, once that choice was made, it MUST be followed for
> the automake and libtool steps.  Crosslinking between the "stable" and
> "devel" autotools was NOT allowed.
>
> Under the NEW setup, crosslinking IS allowed, provided the tools are
> inherently compatible (e.g. libtool-1.5.x requires automake-1.5 or
> greater -- but you're free to use automake-1.5, -1.6, 1.9, whatever.
> Similarly, automake-1.9 requires autoconf-2.5x, but automake-1.7 WILL
> work with autoconf-2.13.)  For more information on the exact dependency
> relationship between the autotools, see their respective homepages and
> release notes.  The important point is that WE, the cygwin platform, do
> not impose any ADDITIONAL dependency requirements betweeen the autotools
> provided.  (Whereas under the OLD setup, we DID do so.)
>
> This change may impact some existing users; one was already hit by
> reliance on our old "intelligent" automake wrappers. See
> "autoconf problem on cygwin" here
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-07/msg01056.html (it was actually
> an autoMAKE problem, not autoCONF).
>
> LIBTOOL:
>
> (6) only one installation of libtool at this time, but perhaps more when
> the libtool team figures out how to enable side-by-side installs.
>
> Note that libtool-stable, libtool-devel, and libtool (wrappers) are all
> obsoleted by libtool1.5-1.5.18-1.
>

> DRAWBACKS to the new setup:
> (1) only one libtool, and it is only compatible with the newer automakes
> and autoconfs.  Thus, if you're still using autoconf-2.13, you can't use
> the official libtool.
>
> (2) No more fake "intelligence" for choosing between automakes.  You can
> control this choice manually, but that requires knowledge/effort on the
> part of the developer.
>
> BENEFITS to the new setup:
>
> (1) more similar to existing linux installation styles
>
> (2) easier to maintain for me -- which means more frequent updates
>
> (3) less confusing for new users and folks 'crossing over' from linux
>
> (4) All (minor) versions of automake now available, not just a chosen two.
>
> (5) we can stop being the red-headed-stepchild of the autotool world
> "This works thusly, except on cygwin because of their wierd installation"

This package misses /usr/bin/autom4te-2.13
resp. the wrapper has no extra logic for the missing autom4te.

I solved it by
   cp /usr/bin/autom4te-2.5x /usr/bin/autom4te-2.13
Strangely this was the first time I needed such an old cruft, for catdoc.