Cygintl-3.dll was not found

infoterror infoterror@fastmail.fm
Thu Aug 10 22:34:00 GMT 2006

>FYI, you seem to be implying that this is some sort of UNIX installer
>when it really is just a home-grown Windows installer designed to handle
>Cygwin's needs.  I have no problems with the user interface but I do
>understand that some Windows users find it unintuitive.

When installing under windows, it makes sense to use the standard (.msi) and
style of windows installers. It is rude to go into a room full of people
speaking Tagalog and insist they speak English; similarly, when one wants
something to work under windows, it should adapt to that standard.

>I disagree.  Not all packages install in "c:\Program Files" and putting
>Cygwin's root directory there would mean extra typing, potential
>"filename with spaces" problems, and, most importantly, it would mean 10
>extra characters eaten from the MAX_PATH limit.  Also, as is pointed out
>later in this thread, there is a whole filesystem underneath the
>c:\cygwin directory.  Right or wrong, I've always considered Cygwin to
>be sort of a parallel to the Windows directory.

To a windows user, it is an application.

Installing all program files into c:\Program Files provides the user a
consistent interface. Some in the corporate world seek to mystify this, but
their apps are acknowledged by experienced windows people as errant.

Another way to put this: if you were a corporate MIS/IT/etc department head
and you wanted to keep machines organized, you would probably have all
software installed in the same location. Makes backup easy. Makes it
immediately discernible what must be moved/modified if there's a problem
with a machine.

>You can, of course, choose your own location, however.  I don't see why
>this should be a big issue for anyone who installs Cygwin.  If they know
>about "c:\Program Files" and think that's the place that cygwin should
>go, they are welcome to put things there.

Instead of making more work for them to do it right, why not just do it
right from the start?

>What kind of problems do you think are being caused by installing to
>"c:\cygwin" and/or what kind of problems would be solved by installing
>to "c:\Program Files\cygwin"?

Please see above.