keychain doesn't properly cache ssh key

Dominik Hoffmann dhoffmann@uwalumni.com
Fri Aug 11 05:53:00 GMT 2006

I have a very stock installation of Cygwin (Cygwin.dll Version
1.5.21-2) on Windows XP Pro. I installed the ssh and rsync packages,
as well as keychain, all from Cygwin's installer interface. The
version of keychain, as you probably know, that Cygwin currently
installs is 2.5.3.1. keychain is said to work in the Cygwin
environment, and yet I get this type of behavior:

> Administrator@NICHD-PALM-Xfer ~
> $ keychain id_dsa
>
> KeyChain 2.5.3.1; http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/keychain/
> Copyright 2002-2004 Gentoo Foundation; Distributed under the GPL
>
> * Found existing ssh-agent (504)
> * Known ssh key: /home/Administrator/.ssh/id_dsa
>

> Administrator@NICHD-PALM-Xfer ~
> $ ssh palmxfer@ssh0.janelia.org
> Enter passphrase for key '/home/Administrator/.ssh/id_dsa':
> Last login: Thu Aug 10 17:53:06 2006 from nichd32t33.nichd.nih.gov
> [palmxfer@b04u02 ~]$

In other words, it recognizes the existing cached key but doesn't use
it. Maybe this issue with ssh-add gets at the root of the problem:

> Administrator@NICHD-PALM-Xfer ~
> $ ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_dsa
> Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.

Note the error message.

Is anyone aware of anything that would help me to get keychain work
adequately?

Dominik Hoffmann