sshd error - Could not load host key

Chris Croughton chris@keristor.net
Sat Aug 12 16:41:00 GMT 2006

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 11:57:19 +0200, zs
   <admin@szalbot.homedns.org> wrote:

> I was trying to start sshd with cygwin under windows.
>
> I am getting the following error but the specified files exist in the
> /etc dir. What else could be a problem here? Thanks a lot for your input!
>
> Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_key
> Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
> Disabling protocol version 1. Could not load host key
> Disabling protocol version 2. Could not load host key
> sshd: no hostkeys available -- exiting.

I've had this recently!  I solved it by running (or possibly rerunning)
ssh-host-config.  I'm not sure what that does differently from just
setting up the config files in /etc (I can't find a man or info page on
my system for it), but it seems to work (I know that if you answer it
correctly it will set it up as a server, so something presumably tweaks
the Registry; there are also questions about setting up a special user
under Windows for sshd and things which need administrative privileges).

Doing a Google for "howto cygwin sshd" (without the quotes) gives a
number of places where people have written about it, including some
specifics for Win2k, XPPro and 2003Server.

Chris C