Rsync over ssh (pulling from Cygwin to Linux) stalls..

Mon Aug 14 07:38:00 GMT 2006

Michael March wrote:
> I am running Cygwin 1.5.21 and rsync version 2.6.6.
>
> If I run this command from Linux:
>
> rsync -Lave "ssh -2"
> admin@xp.host.com:/cygdrive/g/Backups/rsync/Pictures  /backups/test
>
> .. the transfers will stall after two files.
>
> Pushing from XP to Linux does work though..
>
> Any ideas?

Yes its a known issue for the exact situation you explain.  Pulling
files from a hosting using ssh+rsync under CYGWIN.

My current understanding of the situation is with the non-blocking
implementation of pipes under CYGWIN does not return EAGAIN even the
pipe buffer is full and starts to block.

This causes rsync to become blocked on a write call to send data to ssh,
and ssh becomes blocked also on a write call sending data to rsync.
This causes a deadlock.

Since rsync can work in blocking and non-blocking mode its really SSH
that end that has the problem.

I am actively working on a solution, but at current work rate it maybe a
few weeks to a month before any preliminary patch will be posted here.

Darryl