Windows system performance and Cygwin

J.D. Liau jliau@cisco.com
Mon Aug 14 20:30:00 GMT 2006

Hi:

We have two idnetical Windows 2000 Server SP4 machines with all hotfixes
from Microsoft.  After we install openSSH on machineA and reboot the server,
it outperforms machineB by 200%~300%.  We traced into openSSH, it basically
runs "cygrunserv.exe" as a service.  So, if cygrunsrv.exe starts, machineA
runs two to three times faster based on our benchmark program.  If we stop
cygrunserv.exe then both machines have the same performance.  BTW, our
benchmark program is heavy on inter-thread communication.

However, a plain Windows 2000 Server SP4 machine WITHOUT any Microsoft
hotfixes or cygrunserv.exe runs as fast as machineA with cygrunserv.exe
running.

There appears to have been an OS changes due to those hotfixes, but how does
Cygwin work around the issue to keep interthread communication  performance?
Is there a Win32 API hooks internally to change thread or process resources?

Thanks!