change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Tue Aug 15 23:04:00 GMT 2006

John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 15-Aug-2006, Joachim Achtzehnter wrote:
>> Clearly, developers make a huge contribution,
>> nobody is denying this, but to suggest that *only* developers contribute
>> and everybody else should therefore just shut up
>
> I never said everyone else should "just shut up".  My point was that
> if you aren't contributing in some way, then you shouldn't expect your
> complaining to carry much weight.  The way to get things done is to do
> the work, not just complain and hope that people do something for you.

...or offer money. That carries more weight than complaining. :-)

However that doesn't work in all cases. This I am reasonably confident
is one of them. But as a general rule...

> Obligatory-make-behavior-content:
>
> It seems there is really no need for this discussion now, as there are
> several options available for someone willing to do the work:
> [snip mingw bullet]
>   * Patch your own version of GNU Make for Cygwin (I don't think that
>     the patch used with the previous version is a secret).

Of course it isn't "secret". GNU make is GPL'd, therefore Cygwin's
patched version of it was also. Since it was distributed, compliance
with the GPL means that source code was also available; further, anyone
still offering 3.80-cygwin is required to provide it.

--
Matthew
Only Joe suffers from schizophrenia. The rest of us enjoy it.