Looking for mkdirhier !

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Tue Aug 22 18:20:00 GMT 2006

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 22 August 2006 16:57, mwoehlke wrote:
>> Dave Korn wrote:
>>> dk@rainbow /tmp> alias mkdirhier='mkdir -p'
>> ...but you would have to set that alias in whatever this script is...
>> Better:
>>
>> $ cat > /bin/mkdirhier
>> mkdir -p "$@"
>> ^D
>> $ chmod +x /bin/mkdirhier
>>
>> (Note: ^D above means hold 'ctrl' and press 'D')
>
>   Would be even better if you put a shebang on the first line, in case it's
> invoked from a non-bash shell.

Actually, I intentionally did not use a shebang... 'mkdir -p "$@"'
should work on any Bourne-like shell, although in this case '#!/bin/sh'
should suffice.

I'm used to writing portable scripts; anything other than '#!/bin/sh' is
very non-portable, and if the script needs to be run on Bourne+ (i.e.
bash or ksh), then the only options are a: try to write a wrapper that
invokes the script in bash/ksh as a here-doc (or something equally
ugly), or b: don't use a shebang. I generally pick the latter.

--
Matthew
'$ time make world' -> real 5d:14h:37m:5.291s  user 0m:0.000s  sys