POSIX names for drive letters

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Fri Aug 25 18:54:00 GMT 2006

Schwarz, Konrad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know that it is kind of late :-), but I would like to suggest an
> alternative/additional mapping of drive letters to the MinGW and Cygwin
> file-system name space.
>
> The proposed mapping for directory `C:\' is `//./C$/' (or perhaps
> `//./C/').
>
> The reasons for this mapping are:
> [snip]

So... why exactly do you need this? The only thing I might actually
support here (keeping in mind Eric's comments and CGF's clear agreement
with them) would be treating '//./' as a special case of '//127.0.0.1/',
at which point '//./C$/' is the UNC mapping of the default 'C$' share on
the local machine. But I still fail to see why that is useful.

Or you could change your mount prefix to '/dev/fs', and have
'/dev/fs/c', etc, which seems more "natural" and is also what Interix
uses (so you have compatibility in case you ever use that POS).

--
Matthew
'$ time make world' -> real 5d:14h:37m:5.291s  user 0m:0.000s  sys