Windows XP network lockup, when using rsync

Howard Thomson howard.thomson@dial.pipex.com
Fri Aug 25 23:46:00 GMT 2006

Christopher Faylor <cgf-no-personal-reply-please <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> >*Every* time that I run rsync, both the Cygwin default 2.6.6 version
> >and my 2.6.9cvs patched version, rsync failes to complete a transfer
> >from WinXP to Win2000 and reports that the other end disconnected.
> >
> >With 100% success rate, WinXP is subsequently unable to: ping, browse
> >internet, respond to ping, ipconfig /renew..., in fact all networking
> >fails and the machine hangs in attempting to hibernate and mostly hangs
> >in attempting to shutdown.
> >
> >I had had *no* problems, at all, prior to attempting to use rsync !
>
> Regardless of this data point, if you are having this type of problem
> there is something wrong with either your Windows installation, the
> driver for your network card, or your computer.
>
> This isn't a Cygwin problem.  A user mode program like rsync should not
> be able to cause this type of behavior.  If it could, that's an exploit
> just waiting to happen.

I agree that it isn't a bug in Cygwin. However the machine, apart from the
Cygwin download and very little other software (no drivers), is a pristine
WinXP install as supplied with the machine. I e-mailed this list because I
hoped someone with a similar experience would be able to point me to a
solution, Google and MS having failed (so far) to find anything relevant.